Monday, April 20, 2015

Long time, no blog. Find out what I've been up to!

Hi Wire Harmony supporters,

Bullet ware


Yes, it has been ages since I posted.  Bad Sarah.  But, I've been having a fantastic adventure in my jewelry making journey.  Everywhere you go, there is so much to learn.  It's overwhelming at times!

Since the end of 2014, I have been pursuing my goal to transition from wire wrapping and jump ring assembling to actual metal work which involves fire and all kinds of new skills.  It has been very challenging with plenty of flops.  But the great thing about using real silver/sterling is you can just melt that sucker down and start again.  Nothing wasted!  (Except tons of hours, but that's the learning curve for ya.)
Sterling cuff with texture $75

SOLD

I spent about 7 months going weekly to Jay Whaley's place in Hillcrest learning from the best, with the best equipment around. Wow, so awesome.  I have met so many amazing metal artists who just blow my mind.  I decided to try a new path after that and enrolled at San Diego Mineral and Gem Society in Spanish Village.  There, I learned the basics of cutting and sanding cabochons, which is a really fun, zen process.  Only $5 a lesson!! Can't beat it.  There is something really satisfying about cutting your own stone and then setting it yourself...it is totally a work of art from your soul.
Sterling domed textured discs $38
After a couple months, I was able to enter a silver club there, where a few of us just do our own thing.  Most of the artists there have been doing it for many years, so I have a wealth of knowledge to draw from.  Several of them have won top prizes at the Del Mar Fair jewelry making contest.

So, I am toiling away making new pieces with my new skills.  My goal is to have enough of a selection to show at some fairs later in the year.  My faves are RBCPC and Talmadge.  More info to come on those.  For now, I am working on custom pieces and selling here and there to friends.  More cash for old my Rio Grande orders!!

Please enjoy a brief gallery of some pieces.  Some I have posted already on FB, but not all.

Thanks for reading and much love to all of you and your creative/intellectual/athletic pursuits.
Please continue scrolling for some more photos!
Peace,
Sarah


Silver filled swirl bracelet and earrings. (Earrings sold)
Sterling wave earrings $36


Chunky brass chain with patina (sold)

Enameled copper dome with sterling harmony cut out, riveted (sold)

Sand Dollar pendant, sterling and brass (sold)


Enameled copper discs, pagoda style, copper chain $32



Brass back plate, sterling prongs with banded carnelian (sold)
Woven sterling circles (sold)
Sterling back plate and prongs, lacy agate cut by moi $45
Sterling rings with granite stones.  Every piece handmade (custom)

  
No, I quit smoking ages ago.  That's a big old silver tube that I make into thinner wire.





No comments:

Post a Comment